Set up a 301 Redirect for your RSS Feed After Importing
To Complete Your Podcast Import, Set Up a 301 Redirect
When you’re ready, set up a 301 Redirect in your old hosting platform to make sure directories know you've switched to Sounder. You don't have to do it immediately - for example you might want to check that all of your episodes imported correctly, or you may want to edit the episode descriptions or update your website.
However, the 301 redirect is the final and necessary step in migrating your show and workflow to Sounder.
What is a 301 Redirect?
A 301 Redirect works like mail forwarding does for the postal service: Requests to your old RSS feed get automatically forwarded to your new Sounder RSS feed. That means your listeners—and listening apps such as Apple, Spotify, and Google—can find your latest episodes without knowing you’ve switched hosting platforms.
How do I set it up?
You set up the 301 redirect in the account settings for your old podcasting host. Check the support site for the specific instructions on “how to set up a 301 Redirect”, or “how to move your podcast to another host.” There are two main steps:
- First, make sure that all of your episodes have imported to Sounder successfully:
- Do this before you turn on the 301 Redirect.
- Do this before you create new episodes.
- Do this before you distribute your show with your new Sounder RSS feed.
Some podcasting hosts limit the number of episodes in your RSS feed, so you may not have imported all of them. If that happened, you’ll need to update the settings in your old hosting platform and re-import the show (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more help).
- Second, turn on the 301 redirect in your old podcasting host’s account settings:
- Copy your Sounder RSS feed URL.
- Log in to your old podcasting host and find the redirect field in the settings
- Paste the Sounder RSS feed into the Redirect field
That’s it! Now, you can start managing your podcast in Sounder. Keep your previous podcasting host account active for 3-4 weeks to make sure all the listening apps have switched to your new Sounder feed.